Sunday, May 18, 2008

#25 New Red Shoes

Most of my shoes are black, although lately I've bought a few brown pairs. Every time I see red shoes, I admire them. . .but think I'm not hip/young/cool enough to wear any. I mean, what would I wear with red shoes? Lately, I've been thinking "This outfit would look cute with red shoes" instead.

I've been looking for red shoes for months. I saw a couple of pairs last weekend at the Nine West outlet, but they didn't have my size. Last weekend, I didn't have any luck at DSW. But, yesterday I gave DSW another chance--Larisa&Greg posted on the nest that they were having a sale. I got lucky! Thanks L&G!

As soon as I stepped into these, I felt like a hot tamale. These shoes make me imagine salsa dancing, and swishy skirts. So far, I've worn them with jeans to the movies. I've worn them to church. And I wore them to work today with black pants and a black & white top. Toenails, fingernails, and lips = all red! Although these shoes are a little bit brighter red than I'd imagined when I started looking for (and trying on) red shoes, I still love them.

Today (as I was admiring my shoes at work) I realized one reason why I like them so much. When I was a kid, I used to pretend I was Dorothy from "The Wizard of Oz." It was one of my favorite games, and I even had a pretend dog named Toto. Imagine my delight when my mom found a stray dog at the grocery store who she brought home. He looked just like Toto! (Both the dog from the movie and my imaginary pet.) Unfortunately, he couldn't stay with us long, and we gave him to a family with no children and lots of land for him to run around. Anyway, I had a pair of bright red keds knock-offs that I wore all the time, pretending to be Dorothy. I think my new shoes must be tapping into fond childhood memories. Especially since the last photo I took (on our very dirty sidewalk) looks like I'm about to click my heels together three times. If only! I'd love to not sit in traffic during my to/fro work commute.



4 comments:

Tabatha said...

I *love* red shoes. Congrats on getting some cute ones at a great bargain. Hooray for DSW!!

Larisa said...

Ummm... Red shoes go with everything.

And you're welcome. :)

Juicy said...

So pretty! I need a pair of red shoes too...hmmm. I wish there were a DSW near me, damn. In your honour though, tomorrow I will wear my new heels I bought several weeks ago that I've haven't worn yet. :)

Catkins said...

I love red shoes too. We should have a red shoe GTG. Any excuse to wear them sounds good to me!