Thursday, November 29, 2007

#4 November Nephew Time

It's already been a week since I've seen them (on Thanksgiving), but I wanted to post about this month's nephew time because I had such a good time with them that I had to remember the funny little things they did.

When K & I arrived at my mom's on Thanksgiving evening, Nephew 1 (30 months) greeted us at the door by saying Hi! and our names. I'm sure his mom and dad coached him on it, but it was just adorable. He immediately pointed to his little brother and said "That's (Nephew 2)!" I replied "I know!" and said "Happy Thanksgiving." He looked at the things we were carrying and asked about them. I told I had a pecan pie in one hand and cranberry stuff in the other. He looked at me for a minute--because I'm pretty sure he didn't know what either of those was--and finally said "yum!" haha!

Later, as we were all sitting down, he started playing by ducking under the table and peeking out at me. I would say "where's (Nephew 1)?" and he would pop out, while I acted surprised to see him. K wanted to get in on the game, and started saying "what's that under the table? it is a little bug?" N1 suddenly scrambled out from under the table and ran into the kitchen. Turns out at his house, there have been several crickets under the table lately, and they freaked him out. So my brother (his dad), pretended to catch a "cricket" and throw it outside. K felt bad because he was just trying to play, but the rest of us were laughing. He redeemed himself by asking silly questions about the "cricket" like "what color was it? was it purple? was it spotted?" etc. Funny!

N2 (8 months) was his usual jovial self. I got to feed him some fruity baby food, which he very much enjoyed. He only protested when I was too slow spooning it into his mouth. That kid loves the fruit. SIL says it's the sweetness, which makes sense--he wasn't at all interested in his turkey baby food. Although, it smelled like cat food, so I can't really blame him. I was even afraid to try it. I gave him a bottle a little later, and he kept touching and staring at my fingernails, which were painted red. His mom never paints her nails, so I am sure he was very interested in the color & texture. Just like his big brother when he was a baby.
The cranberry stuff I took to Thanksgiving dinner has become one of my usual contributions to the meal over the last couple of years. I got the recipe from Food & Wine (below), but I substitute a lime for the lemon and zest it before chopping it and adding it to the food processor. Lime rind always seems extra bitter to me.
Cranberry Relish

1 medium unpeeled orange – scrubbed, halved, seeded & cut into 2-inch chunks
1 medium Granny Smith apple – peeled, cored & cut into 2-inch chunks
¼ medium unpeeled lemon – scrubbed, seeded & cut into 2-inch chunks
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries (1/2 pound)
½ cup sugar
½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts (about 2 ounces)

In a food processor, combine the orange, apple and lemon and pulse until finely chopped. Add the cranberries and pulse until the berries are coarsely chopped. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the sugar and walnuts.

The relish can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.

No comments: