Saturday, December 1, 2007

#9 Dinner: Calzones

This week I think I was still recovering from the long Thanksgiving break, so I wanted to make something really quick and easy for dinner. I went with one of my old easy stand-by options, calzones.

I buy two cans of low-fat Pillsbury crescent rolls, and open one can. I spread 4 rectangles (which is actually 2 crescent roll triangles) on a cookie sheet with a silpat pad on it, and add the fixin's. This time, I spread a thin layer of basil pesto, a layer of sauce (from a jar), a layer of shredded cheese, and then the meats. This time, I had peppered salami (thin sliced) and genoa. I open the other can of crescent rolls and added a rectangle of dough to each one. I seal around the edges (pressing them together) and pop it in the oven for 13 - 15 minutes. K and I can each eat one for dinner & have one for lunch the next day. (Or, he can eat two for dinner, whatever.) Easy, but good.

I want to start working on menu planning on the weekend, and going to the grocery store once, instead of every couple of days during the week. With all the busy-ness of December (holiday parties, shopping, etc.) I am hoping this plan will be more of a help and free up time rather than a hassle of having more "to do"s on the weekends.

No comments: