Friday, January 4, 2008

#4: January Nephew Time

Four or five years ago, our family decided to start an annual tradition and meet for brunch on New Year's day. We met at mom's house, and caravaned to our designated meeting location--the Omlettry on Burnet Road. Naturally, it was packed. My dad got impatient and decided we shouldn't wait the estimated 30 minutes, but instead go elsewhere. We headed for what's now the Austin Diner (formerly Laura's Bluebonnet Kitchen); they were closed. Next stop, Kerby Lane. As if they wouldn't be packed! I suppose we thought that by now, Dad would relent to waiting, since we arrived at Kerby 30 minutes after originally starting out at the Omlettry and were very hungry. Surprise, surprise, the wait was 45 minutes long. We took a vote and headed to good ol' IHOP. It wasn't very crowded, and we were seated quickly. As soon as we ordered, we found out why there wasn't a wait--our waitress told us she was only one of two waitstaff that morning. Apparently, 5 other waitpeople had either called in "sick" or simply not shown up. We (foolishly) assumed that we would still be eating soon. We were so wrong! The two waitresses ended up with a huge line of food waiting to be delivered, and we practically jumped back to the kitchen to look for our own order. (Our experiences that day led us to coin a favorite family phrase: The system has broken down.) We did finally eat, but decided to move the New Year's Day brunch to mom's house for the next year. We've been meeting there ever since, and not once has the system broken down.

This year, we pulled up right as Brother & family did. N1 raced from the car up to the front door, and looked so cute with his bedhead flapping in the breeze. He looks just like my brother at that age, complete with the back of his hair contstantly standing straight up! When the rest of us got to the door, I asked him if he wanted to peep in the mail slot and holler for his grandma--which is usually a favorite activity of his. He replied with a dismissive "no." It seems the boys took a nap in the car on the way, and were both still a little groggy/grouchy from just waking up. I certainly know that feeling.

N1 asked my mom if he could help cook something, so she pulled up a chair to the counter for him to help her with the eggs. I lent a hand in the kitchen, supervising the pancakes, and also kindof keeping an eye on N1. I happen to know he's a frequent nose picker, and I wanted to decide for myself whether I'd be eating any eggs that morning based on his performance. He helped crack and stir the eggs, and even started to drip some egg into the pan before it was time, he was so excited to help. SIL came into the kitchen just in time to cover his mouth as he sneezed several times over the bowl of eggs. Yum.

N2 sat next to me at brunch, and his favorite activity was trying to touch me with a syrup-y hand. Note to self: wear more kid-friendly tops for nephew time. I've already learned that he'll try to yank off any necklace I'm wearing, so I plan accordingly there. After he ate, he wanted me to hold him and dip him backwards. That's one of his current favorite things--he pitches himself back like in a backbend, and I raise him up and act surprised to see him. These acrobatics drive my mom nuts, she's convinced he's going to crack his head on the table or that I'm going to drop him. Since I am also a little afraid he's going to fling himself right out of my arms, I hold on extra tight.

We left early because K was feeling sick (upper respitory infection + lower back pain), so we didn't get too many kiddy antics this visit. Still, it was good to spend time with them so often over the past couple of weeks.

No comments: