Tuesday, January 22, 2008

#9: Weeknight Dinner

Even though I was off work yesterday, I am counting last night's dinner as a weeknight dinner. Mainly because I was too lazy to actually get to the grocery store until 5pm and didn't start prep/cooking until about 6:15, which is about the time I would normally start dinner.

I made another recipe from a nestie recipe rave: French Onion Chicken. Unfortunately, I didn't do the recipe justice. I shredded the tips of my fingers a little bit when I was shredding the cheese. (And I noticed when I saw that the block of cheese in my hand looked a little pink, eww!) I accidentally put the sherry in with the onions at the beginning of the carmelization process, instead of later with the other liquids. I didn't brown my chicken enough in the pan and it took forever to cook in the oven. And I doubled the sauce (K loves sauce), but even though I let it cook down until it was reduced by half, it still didn't thicken. Also, I made boil in a bag brown rice instead of using french bread, since we had rice in the pantry and not french bread. After that comedy of errors, my rendition of the recipe just turned out "eh." K said he liked it, and the sauce was delicious (the rice soaked it up really well), but as I was washing up he suggested adding a can of French Onion Soup mix to the sauce next time to make it more french onion-y and thicker. For someone who never cooks dinner, he certainly is free with the tips. ha! I know, I know, he's trying to be helpful and supportive of my culinary efforts, and would like to eat dinner before 7:45pm. So would I!

I bought pork chops at the store with the idea of making parmesan pork chops later this week. Could it be two weeks in a row of cooking twice during the week?! Look out Martha Stewart, here I come.

1 comment:

ashley said...

we love giada's parmesan pork chops! they're so good!