Thursday, January 3, 2008

#9: Weeknight Dinner

Stuffed shells again last night! K loves these, and he likes to remind me that while he enjoys a constant stream of new recipes, he would also like to have repeat favorites now and then. Like last time, I baked half the recipe and froze the other half for another time. And since I'm really behind in my weeknight cooking due to the craziness of the holiday season, I am going to totally count that frozen shell dinner as a meal when I do end up cooking it!

He also likes to remind me about the recipe book his mother made and gave me when we got married. I haven't cooked a single thing in the book over the past 3 years. In my defense, a lot of the recipes in the book are things we just aren't interested in eating. And a lot of the recipes K remembers from his childhood or special holiday dinners were left out of the cookbook. ("Accidentally" I'm sure.) K brought up a little bit of my lack of cooking from those recipes at Christmas. . .to his mom. Luckily, I thought quick and said "I know I can't compete with the best, so I haven't tried!" Phew, a rare moment of a snappy comeback--hooray for me! I think the recipe he is most looking forward to includes an ingredient called "kitchen bouquet" which, quite frankly, scares me. I thought it was something MIL made up until K found it in the grocery store for me. It appears to be something that makes meat browner? (Which. . .why??)Yikes. But, in the spirit of trying new things, I am going to attempt some family recipes and report back.

No comments: