Wednesday, January 30, 2008

#9: Weeknight Dinner

Late last week our monthly bacon delivery arrived, and Tuesday turned out to be a good night to cook. I think this is my first bacon weeknight dinner since I began my 730 project in October, although we've been receiving monthly bacon since K's birthday in April. We were celebrating a big birthday for him (the same I'll celebrate at the end of my 730 days), and knowing his love of bacon, I thought this might be the perfect gift: Bacon of the Month from Grateful Palate.

Sure, our entire house smells like meat all night after I cook the bacon, but it's a small price to pay for that crispy goodness. And the Grateful Palate was an excellent resource for stocking stuffers for both K & my bacon-loving brother. We are now the proud owners of bacon soap (not bacon-scented, just bacon-shaped), a bacon Christmas tree ornament, and bacon air freshener. I'm eyeing the BLT candles for another gift-giving occasion. Of course, then I might have to smell them in our house, which I'm not 100% sure I can handle. Last night's bacon frying caused so much smoke that we had to throw open the kitchen window and back door. My hair smelled like smoke when I got in the shower. K was in heaven, I'm sure.

We receive a pound of bacon each month, and after the first month's delivery we learned that we really shouldn't eat it all in one sitting. Now, I typically cook half a pound at a time, cutting the slices in half so I can fit more at one time into my big skillet. This month's bacon (Hickory Smoked) was delicious in BLTs for dinner. They were so good that I might just make the same thing with the other half in a few days.
Update: Sure enough, K requested another BLT night a couple of nights later! Easy enough.

No comments: