Thursday, August 21, 2008

#9: Weekly Dinners

Seems like it's been a while since I've cooked dinner during the week! Good thing K likes leftovers (from weekend cooking) and sandwiches.

This week is Bacon Week, so earlier in the week I made BLTs for dinner. This month's bacon, Swiss Sugar Cottage Bacon, is made from the shoulder of a pig, which basically means it looks like canadian bacon. It was pretty good, but a little fatty. I'm going to make Bacon Quiche with the remaining half pound.

Tonight, I made a recipe from the August 2008 Real Simple. I only changed it up a little bit, so I've added my revisions in parenthesis below. It was a good, quick recipe. I am a slow chopper, though, so next time I'll pre-chop everything the night before. K, my olive lover, said he was going to kick his up a notch next time by slicing up some olives in his servings.

Summer Pasta Bolognese (from 8/08 Real Simple Magazine)
serves 4

12 ounces fetuccine (3/4 box) (I used wheat pasta)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound ground turkey
kosher salt & pepper
2 cloves garlic, chopped
(1/2 cup sweet onion, chopped)
1 1/2 pounds beefsteak tomatoes--about 3--chopped (I used roma, couldn't find beefsteak at my HEB, and I weighed them to get the amount right)
1/2 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc (I used chardonnay; that's what we had)
1 small zucchini, coarsely grated
3/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
(fresh parmesan cheese)

Cook the pasta according to the package directions.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the turkey and season with 3/4 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. (I used extra pepper.) Cook, breaking up the turkey with a spoon, for 3 minutes.

Add the garlic and onion and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and wine and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the turkey is cooked through and the sauce has slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes.

Remove from heat and fold in the zucchini and basil. Serve over the pasta. Add parmesan to taste--about 1/4 cup per serving.

Excellent bonus to this recipe = leftover wine to drink!

1 comment:

Memory Harker said...

No way!

I Googled "Swiss Sugar Cottage Bacon" because I need to gank a web image of that precise bacon, I click over to YOUR blog, and OMG you're in Austin, too!

I'm part of a group that's also subscribed to the Bacon of the Month Club, is why I was looking for the bacon image.

Ah, the Internet. What a small world (of bacon!) we live in ...

^_^