Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Home Again

Boston was awesome. In fact, I enjoyed it so much that it's actually giving NYC a run for its money as my Favorite U.S. Vacation City. Who would've thought?

To help me remember some of the things I loved/could've lived without about our trip, I wanted to list them here (and in the next few posts) for future reference:

Loved: Our hotel. I really could not have found a better location or price--I found the deal on orbitz and found an internet coupon to give us $20 extra off per night. We paid about half the rate the hotel is charging on their website. We were a block from a subway ("T") entrance, across the street from the Boston Public Library and Trinity Church, and could see the finish line for the Boston Marathon (painted across the street) from our room window.

I knew it would be a nice hotel, but I wasn't expecting a luxury hotel. Seriously, the Lenox pampered us. I knew we were in for a treat when we pulled up to the hotel in our taxi and our bags were immediately whisked away by a bellman. He met us at our room, gave us his little spiel about the hotel & ammenities and disappeared. Later, when we walked out through the lobby, he remembered our names and said hello. And he continued to remember our names throughout the rest of the trip, greeting us every time we saw him.

In fact, every hotel employee we saw was pleasant and helpful. On Saturday night, the concierge hooked us up with a popular nearby seafood restaurant with 30 minutes notice--we were a little behind our schedule and he helped us out quickly. I think we managed to even impress him a little when we got back down to the lobby 20 minutes later, changed out of our grubby day clothes into nicer clothes for dinner & a comedy show. (At least, he acted surprised when we walked past him, haha!)

Every night when we returned to our room, the bed had been turned down and there were cookies on our pillow. Our hotel robes were laid out at the end of the bed. Our mini fridge always had two bottles of cold water waiting for us. If we moved one of the little bottles of Aveda lotion/body wash/shampoo/conditioner out of the bathroom (on to the dresser, into the shower, into my purse) there were more the next morning. K was using a little bottle of Scope that he'd brought in his travel kit. He was close to running out about halfway through our trip, and a new little bottle of Scope appeared on our bathroom counter. Nice!

When we were ready to take a cab to the airport, the bellman who'd been holding our bags mentioned that they had a hotel car that could take us for $35--only $5 more than a cab ride. We quickly agreed and were driven to the airport in the Lenox Lexus SUV. And I wasn't afraid we were about to crash even once. . .unlike our cab ride from the airport to the hotel upon our arrival.

If/when we return to Boston, I definitely plan to try to get us booked at The Lenox again. Highly recommended!

1 comment:

Catkins said...

I'm pretty jealous that you went to Boston. I've always wanted to go there. And if we ever get up to that side of the nation, I'll make sure to stay at The Lenox. :)