Monday, June 30, 2008

#4 Nephew Visit: Day One

We arrived home last night after a quick 2-day trip to SE TX to attend an event for FIL and pick up the middle nephew. He'll be staying with us all week; on Saturday, we'll take him to Houston to meet his parents and drop him off.

I was kindof freaking out about the visit before he arrived. I know the visit is a good idea, and I know I agreed to it without hesitation when K and I taked about it, but yikes! Young teen in my house! Unsupervised for the morning hours while K is at work! Yikes! As it turns out, this visit may be very well timed. Some kids at school claim they saw the kid take drugs, and they told his cousin (nephew who is younger by 1 year). Cousin reported it to his mom. His mom hasn't told the kid's parents yet. K may be having a "don't do drugs/don't have sex" talk with the kid. Certainly the kid's dad isn't a shining example on either of those topics. Yikes! Maybe keeping track of how it's going will help me calm myself down about the visit. So far:

* He tried to secretly keep his mom's cell phone for the trip, which he uses to obsessively text his friends all the time. K told his parents that one of the conditions of the visit would be that he not bring the phone, because K doesn't want to compete with the constant (annoying) texting. I busted him as we were getting in the car, and he coughed it up.

* He will actually respond to direct questions. In the past, any interaction with the kid has involved a lot of shrugging and "dunno" or "I guess." We've discovered that the trick is to remember to ask questions that do not require a yes/no response. Sometimes we still get a shrug and a dunno anyway.

* Movie he wanted to watch most w/ K when presented with our entire collection? Spinal Tap. haha! K was thrilled. Of course, later, while they were watching and I was taking a shower, I wondered if it was appropriate for his age. Whoops.

* K & I plotted last night to encourage him to sleep in as much as possible so there's less chance of him getting into trouble when he's home alone. We have a portable DVD player, and we moved it to his room. K let him pick out a movie (or more than one, dunno, I was asleep) to watch after we went to bed. This was my idea--I told K "the later he's up, the later he'll sleep." Wow, real positive influence I am there.

* K & I had a brief discussion about whether we'd be secretly searching his bag for drugs. I offered to do it sometime when they're out of the house, and K agreed. Not sure if he was serious. I did take a peek in one of his bag when I was putting sheets on the guest bed. Didn't see anything suspicious. Need to revisit w/ K.

* He prefers red drinks. Strawberry fanta at dinner on the drive home, pomegranite tea before the movie (that I forgot was in the fridge). Now I'm worried about red beverage spillage all over the house. I purposefully bought less stain-y drinks that I hope he'll try.

* Do 13 year old boys need to be reminded to bathe?

* Found out that spicy sandwiches for dinner + 13 year old boy = really stinky toots during a movie later. haha! They were watching in K's man room, and K told me this morning that a few times he had to breathe through his mouth. I find this funnier than probably appropriate.

* Trips to the grocery store? 1 Meals I've provided? 0 I expect this tally to change again tonight. . .on both counts.

2 comments:

Life. Complicated. said...

Yes, teenage boys need to be reminded to bathe. They also sometimes dont flush and do other lovely things in the bathroom. Oh, and balled up towels, that is normal too. LOL!

Good luck with the rest of your week!

ashley said...

i thought all boys needed reminders to bathe regardless of age? j/k.

i like your stay up later in the house = sleep in later = stay out of trouble idea :-) it works!