Tuesday, July 1, 2008

#4 Nephew Visit: Day Two

Here's the breakdown:

* I hate wearing my bathrobe. My only bathrobe is a thick red long-sleeved chin to toe number that K bought me from Victoria's Secret several years ago. I love it in the winter, when I can get all cozy inside. But having to wear it around the house in the summer so my nephew doesn't accidentally see me in my pajamas? Sucks. So far he hasn't even seen me in my robe, much less the pjs.

* I rocked out a quick dinner last night. I was pretty sure the kid would want to eat earlier than our customary 7:30ish, so I got the spaghetti and meat sauce ready really quickly. I wasn't going to count this as making a weeknight dinner, since I was defrosting my MIL's sauce and just cooking the noodles. But then I also made salad, garlic toast, and my own salad dressing. That's right, I made my own salad dressing on the spur of the moment. I was kickin' ass and taking' names!

* So the kid wanted parmesan cheese with his dinner. I knew K had one of those horrible green cans of the powdered stuff in the fridge, and I'm sure it had been in there since 2004. But the kid said it was okay. . .it just wouldn't come out very easily. I found half a bag of real shredded paremesan, and he used that. But, um, no idea how long that parm had been in the fridge either. Oops.

* O.M.G: the guest bathroom toilet. The horror! I will be having nightmares about it. K will be cleaning it on Saturday as soon as we're back from returning the kid. It's. . .filthy.

* K took the kid shopping. They picked out some school clothes and some cool clothes. Apparently, the kid's school district--his public school district--has adopted a very strict dress code for middle school through high school. It's insane! For example, kids can only wear button down dress shirts or golf shirts. No t-shirts. No visible logos. Only solid colors. No patterns. Pants can only be black, khaki or navy. Shirts must not be the same color as the pants. Shoelaces must be the same color as the shoe, and those colors must be either black, brown, or white. I can't even remember all the rules for girls' shoes, but there were a lot and they were strict. Belts are optional, but must be standard issue leather belts without embellishment or additional buckles if worn. Clothes must be fitted properly (i.e., no baggy pants, no big shirts). Hair must not be distracting. Pretty sure the kid's hairdo falls into the distracting category. The best way to describe his hair would be to imagine a blonde afro. Only, not quite as curly. It stand out a few inches all over his head. He thinks it's very rock and roll. Pretty sure the school won't.

* The kid slept until K got home from work, about 12:30. He took a shower while K puttered around the house before lunch. If he had to be reminded to bathe, at least I wasn't the one reminding him.

*Also, where is his towel? Probably wadded into a soggy ball in the corner of the guest room. Towels don't grow on trees, kid! I only left one additional towel in the cabinet on purpose.

* K and I revisted the "search the bag for drugs/don't search the bag for drugs" discussion. I'm on secret duty at first opportunity. I might wear gloves.

* The kid seems to be enjoying the visit. K said he caught him smiling more than once while they were working on music. He takes his dishes to the sink, and hasn't spilled anything red anywhere (that I know of). He remembers where things go in the fridge, and I haven't found any random trash anywhere. I'm a little afraid to go into the guest room, though.

* Current tally: Trips to the grocery store? 2 Meals provided? 1 I really don't want to go to the grocery store a third day in a row.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.