Thursday, July 17, 2008

Thoughts for Thursday

"Verbose Thursday" didn't quite have a ring to it like Wordless Wednesday, so for now I'm going with "Thoughts for Thursday" to explain yesterday's photo.

Last weekend, I shaved K's head for the second time.

When we met--waaaay back in 1997--his hair was about chin-length, growing out from a George Clooney/Ceasar cut. He didn't really have a reason for growing it out, just that he was lazy about getting hair cuts and wanted to really have hair before he started losing it. As a result, much of the time we dated, he had shoulder-length or longer hair. Sometimes I would trim the ends, but he didn't ever seek professional hair help. The shortest his hair ever went was when he got it cut to earlobe-length on The Alamo set, and that cut came along with a movie barber crafting his beard into mutton chops.

About six months before our wedding in 2004, he started talking about getting his hair cut for the wedding. I didn't pressure him, in fact I didn't care one way or another. I'd always known him with longish to long hair. If he had a ponytail on our wedding day, whatev. But, he decided to go short. He got it cut a few weeks before our engagement photos, and somehow he looked even more handsome than ever. I didn't think it was possible. I loved the short hair.

After our wedding, though, he didn't want to keep up the short hair. He decided to grow it out to donate to Locks for Love, so on our second anniversary in 2006, I sat him down in the kitchen, wound his hair into six skinny ponytails and cut. Then I shaved his head down to 1/4 inch all the way around. He may have enjoyed that short cut more if it hadn't been November. (And if I didn't pet or rub his head at every opportunity. That super short hair is soft like a bunny!) He decided to grow it out again.

The past few weeks, he'd been talking about measuring his hair to see how long it had grown. We finally found time to measure it, and it was only 8 inches in a ponytail. I'd read about Pantene's Beautiful Lengths program, so he checked out the website and decided he'd go that route this time around. I don't know if he was just ready for a change, or whether the heat has been getting to him. But whatever the reason, I chopped off more skinny ponytails on Sunday for a great cause.

1 comment:

Tabatha said...

Wow...congrats to your hubby on taking it that long. I guess guy's hair really does grow faster than girl's hair; mine took almost 3 years to get to the right length!